Making New Acquisitions
During 2017 Lonza also extended our offerings and services in several core areas through bolt-on acquisitions:
- Expertise in autologous cell- and gene-therapy manufacturing with the acquisition of PharmaCell B.V. (NL), which allows Lonza to be the only CDMO to offer an international cell and gene therapy manufacturing network, spanning the United States, Europe and Asia.
- Addition of early-phase clinical manufacture capacity from the acquisition from Shire plc of a clinical-stage mammalian manufacturing site in the United States, which allows us to address increasing demand for clinical-stage current Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) manufacturing capacity.
- To establish Lonza as the global leader in micronization of active ingredients for the pharma and fine chemical industries, we supplemented Capsugel’s existing micronization center in Pennsylvania by acquiring Micro-Macinazione (MicMac) in August. A Swiss-based global pioneer of jet mill equipment for micronization, MicMac is one of Europe’s leading contract micronization providers.
Launching New Programs and Platforms
Two major programs were also initiated in 2017 to strengthen Lonza as the go-to partner for the pharma and biotech industry:
- Increase of our capacity and expansion of capabilities in Parenteral Dosage Form development, with a further build-out of our Drug Product Services (DPS) offerings in Basel (CH). Together with Capsugel’s expertise in oral solids, Lonza now provides high-end solutions for both oral and parenteral dosage forms.
- Launch of Ibex® Solutions, an innovative new biological development and manufacturing concept, providing highly responsive capability from late discovery to clinical and commercial manufacture. Ibex® Solutions cover any technology platform – mammalian, microbial, cellular or bio-conjugate – and are tailored to fit our customers' evolving needs.
Addressing evolving regulatory landscapes and identifying unmet needs in the marketplace, Lonza Specialty Ingredients in 2017 focused on converting those customer needs into solutions.
- One specific offering was the new Proxel® Spektra™ Preservative, which is free from formaldehyde, as well as methylisothiazolinone (MIT). This new, innovative in-can preservative is designed to address increasing market demand for MIT-free biocide formulations.
- Also following global market trends, in this case for reduced contact times without compromising efficacy profiles, a new generation of disinfectant cleaners has been developed and launched under the NUGEN® brand. These disinfectant cleaner concentrates have been registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Lonza's formulator customers can now access the first of the new generation of registered disinfectants with broad spectrum claims at fast contact times.